|The Prospect of Whitby (1520 - present)|
|57 Wapping Wall, London E1|
|Prospect of Whitby c. 1890. © NMM|
This is one of the most famous pubs in London. There has been a tavern on this site since 1520.
In the 17th century it had a reputation as a meeting place for smugglers and villains, and became known as 'Devil's Tavern'.
Famous customers included:
The riverside location meant its clientele included dockers, sailors, smugglers and pressgangs.
In 18th century a fire gutted the 'Devil’s Tavern', and it was rebuilt and renamed after the 'Prospect of Whitby'. The 'Prospect of Whitby' was a three-mast collier, built in 1777, which moored regularly outside the inn and became a local landmark.
The first fuschia cutting in Britain was allegedly bought in the pub. A local market gardener purchased it from a sailor for a nog of rum. The gardener went on to successfully grow and then sell the flowers.
Upstairs there used to be a cock pit and a bare knuckle-fighting ring.
|1520||A simple tavern was built on the site|
|17th century||It had a reputation as a meeting place for smugglers and villains, and became known as 'Devil's Tavern'|
|1688||The Glorious Revolution saw James II flee to France. Judge Jeffreys tried to follow but was caught, it is claimed, hiding in a coal cellar at the tavern dressed as a coal-heaver. He was taken to the Tower and executed.|
|1701||Captain Kidd was executed nearby|
|18th century||A fire gutted the 'Devil's Tavern'. It was rebuilt and renamed 'Prospect of Whitby', after a ship that was moored nearby.|