|The Grapes (1720 - present)|
|76 Narrow St, Limehouse, E14|
|Exterior of The Grapes public house. © NMM|
Charles Dickens knew this pub well. As a child, he was made to stand on a table and sing to the customers. As an adult, he based 'The Six Jolly Fellowship Porters' riverside tavern from 'Our Mutual Friend' on the pub interior.
There is a Dickens Room with a balcony giving a very pleasant view of the river.
There are unsavoury stories of watermen taking drunks from the pub to drown them in the river. They were alleged to have sold the bodies for medical dissection.
|An evening at the Grapes. © NMM|
There has been a pub on the site since the 16th century.
Dickens speaks of certain drinks for which the Grapes has long been famous:
|1720||Opened as 'The Bunch of Grapes', on the site of a previous pub|
|1864-5||Charles Dickens wrote 'Our Mutual Friend' immortalising 'The Bunch of Grapes' as ‘The Six Jolly Fellowship Porters’|
|1934||It became 'The Grapes'|
|1982||It opened a fish restaurant overlooking the river and became famed for its seafood meals|