PortCities London
UKBristolHartlepoolLiverpoolLondonSouthampton
You are here:  PortCities London home > People and places
Text Only About this Site Feedback
Explore this site
About maritime London
Early port
Tudor and Stuart port
18th-century port
19th-century port
20th-century port
People and places
Port communities
Crime and punishment
Leisure, health and housing
Thames art, literature and architecture
The working Thames
London's docks and shipping
Trades, industries and institutions
Port of science and discovery
Historical events
Ceremony and catastrophe
London in war and conflict
Fun and games
Things to do
Timeline games
Matching games
Send an e-card
The Grapes (1720 - present)

Send this story to a friendSend this story to a friend
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
View this story in picturesView this story in pictures
76 Narrow St, Limehouse, E14
Known for

Exterior of The Grapes public house.
View full size imageExterior of The Grapes public house. © NMM

Charles Dickens knew this pub well. As a child, he was made to stand on a table and sing to the customers. As an adult, he based 'The Six Jolly Fellowship Porters' riverside tavern from 'Our Mutual Friend' on the pub interior.

There is a Dickens Room with a balcony giving a very pleasant view of the river.

There are unsavoury stories of watermen taking drunks from the pub to drown them in the river. They were alleged to have sold the bodies for medical dissection.

Port Connection

An Evening at the Grapes.
View full size imageAn evening at the Grapes. © NMM
It was a working class tavern that originally catered for lightermen and workers from Limehouse Basin.

Today it attracts a mixture of tourists and residents of Dockland’s redevelopment.

Interesting Facts

There has been a pub on the site since the 16th century.

Dickens speaks of certain drinks for which the Grapes has long been famous:

  • Purl: a mixture of beer and ale and hot spilled gin
  • Dog’s nose: potent mixture of beer and gin
  • Flip: warmed ale, lemon, cinnamon, eggs and grated nutmeg
*
*
Life Story
1720Opened as 'The Bunch of Grapes', on the site of a previous pub
1864-5Charles Dickens wrote 'Our Mutual Friend' immortalising 'The Bunch of Grapes' as ‘The Six Jolly Fellowship Porters’
1934It became 'The Grapes'
1982It opened a fish restaurant overlooking the river and became famed for its seafood meals
*

Find out more
Fact fileCharles Dickens
The greatest English novelist of the Victorian era
*
*
*
GamesMatch historical pictures of pubs with modern day photographs
Uncover the matching pairs.
*
*
8
National Maritime Museum/Royal Observatory GreenwichNew Opportunities Fund 
Legal & CopyrightPartner sites:BristolHartlepoolLiverpoolSouthamptonAbout this SiteFeedbackText Only