Jump to content | Home

Portcities London

reflecting our cultures

[Bypass: Visit the Port Cites Consortium]
[Bypass: Search Facilities]
      Advanced Search

Maritime London Partnership

-Bypass site links |  Full graphics | About this Site | Feedback

On this site:

[Bypass: Main Menu]
You are here:  PortCities London home > People and places

The Prospect of Whitby (1520 - present)
57 Wapping Wall, London E1*
*

*
Send this story to a friendSend this story to a friend
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
View this story in picturesView this story in pictures

Known for

Prospect of Whitby c. 1890.
View full size imageProspect of Whitby c. 1890. © NMM

This is one of the most famous pubs in London. There has been a tavern on this site since 1520.

In the 17th century it had a reputation as a meeting place for smugglers and villains, and became known as 'Devil's Tavern'.

Famous customers included:

 

Port Connection

The riverside location meant its clientele included dockers, sailors, smugglers and pressgangs.

In 18th century a fire gutted the 'Devil’s Tavern', and it was rebuilt and renamed after the 'Prospect of Whitby'. The 'Prospect of Whitby' was a three-mast collier, built in 1777, which moored regularly outside the inn and became a local landmark.

Interesting Facts

The first fuschia cutting in Britain was allegedly bought in the pub. A local market gardener purchased it from a sailor for a nog of rum. The gardener went on to successfully grow and then sell the flowers.

Upstairs there used to be a cock pit and a bare knuckle-fighting ring.

Life Story

1520A simple tavern was built on the site
17th centuryIt had a reputation as a meeting place for smugglers and villains, and became known as 'Devil's Tavern'
1688The Glorious Revolution saw James II flee to France. Judge Jeffreys tried to follow but was caught, it is claimed, hiding in a coal cellar at the tavern dressed as a coal-heaver. He was taken to the Tower and executed.
1701Captain Kidd was executed nearby
18th centuryA fire gutted the 'Devil's Tavern'. It was rebuilt and renamed 'Prospect of Whitby', after a ship that was moored nearby.



*
Send this story to a friendSend this story to a friend
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
View this story in picturesView this story in pictures



[Bypass: Search Facilities]
      Advanced Search

FIND OUT MORE



Top | Legal & Copyright |  Partner Sites: Bristol | Hartlepool | Liverpool | Southampton | About this Site | Feedback | Full graphics