PortCities London
You are here:  PortCities London home > Search Results
Text Only About this Site Feedback
Explore this site
About maritime London
Early port
Tudor and Stuart port
18th-century port
19th-century port
20th-century port
People and places
Port communities
Crime and punishment
Leisure, health and housing
Thames art, literature and architecture
The working Thames
London's docks and shipping
Trades, industries and institutions
Port of science and discovery
Historical events
Ceremony and catastrophe
London in war and conflict
Fun and games
Things to do
Timeline games
Matching games
Send an e-card

Search Results

453 Results found1 2 3 4 .. 46 Next

The following results matched your search criteria:

1. The Dog and Duck stairs.
*The Dog and Duck stairs.The watermen's stairs running down the Thames near the Dog and Duck pub in Rotherhithe. The pub was destroyed by a flying bomb in 1944.
2. The East India Import Dock.
*The East India Import Dock.Most of the Import Dock has been filled in since it closed in 1967, but a small part of the dock has been retained as an attractive water feature...
3. The Dockmaster's House, West India Docks.
*The Dockmaster's House, West India Docks.This building served many functions. It has been an excise office, the Jamaica Tavern, and even the Dockmaster's House. It is now a public house.
4. The Dock and Duck pub.
*The Dock and Duck pub.The Dock and Duck public house, which stood near the Dog and Duck Stairs and the entrance lock to the South Dock of the Surrey Commercial Docks...
5. The Curlew Rowing Club.
*The Curlew Rowing Club.The Curlew Rowing Club was established in 1866 and occupied the Crown and Scepter Inn in Greenwich. When the Inn was demolished in 1934, the Curlew...
6. The departure of Jumbo.
*The departure of Jumbo.The elephant in question was transported by barge from London Zoo in Regent's Park to the Millwall Docks. There it was loaded onto the steamship...
7. The Embarkation of His Majesty George the Fourth on board the 'Royal George' Yacht. Off Greenwich to visit his Scottish Dominions, 18 August 1822
*The Embarkation of His Majesty George the Fourth on board the 'Royal George' Yacht. Off Greenwich to visit his Scottish Dominions, 18 August 1822A print of King George IV leaving Greenwich on the Royal yacht 'Royal George' (1817). Royal yachts have been used since the reign of Charles II...
8. The end
*The endCoffee houses adn pubs in the 19th century
9. The flowing bowl, or sailors returned.
*The flowing bowl, or sailors returned.Four sailors are sitting around a table in a cottage to rest and refresh after a long journey. Their bags are still unpacked and the sails of their...
10. The former Board of Trade building, East India Dock Road.
*The former Board of Trade building, East India Dock Road.The former Board of Trade building on the East India Dock Road. This was the scene of the official enquiry into the 'Princess Alice' disaster. The...
Email the selected results to:
 1 2 3 4 .. 46 Next
Leisure & Recreation
National Maritime Museum/Royal Observatory GreenwichNew Opportunities Fund 
Legal & CopyrightPartner sites:BristolHartlepoolLiverpoolSouthamptonAbout this SiteFeedbackText Only