'The Pepys Housing Estate in Deptford was formerly the site of which famous naval institution?'Answer:
Henry VIII's naval dockyard, built in 1513.
- The Navy Board was established by Henry VIII and it was responsible for running the dockyard and for the repair and building of all naval warships.
- The Pepys Estate is named after the diarist, Samuel Pepys, who often visited the dockyard when he was Clerk to the Navy Board.
- Captain Cook's ship, HMS Endeavour, was fitted out at Deptford Dockyard.
|Samuel Pepys (1633-1703).|
|© National Maritime Museum, London|
|Repro ID: BHC2947|
|Description: Samuel Pepys (1633-1703) was a diarist and administrator of the Navy. In 1660, he began his service under the patronage of Lord Sandwich, his cousin. He was initially Clerk of the Acts, and was Secretary to the Admiralty, where he created a modern state department out of an archaic office. He left the Admiralty in February 1689, when his patron, King James II, was forced to flee the country and William and Mary came to the throne. Thus, the portrait above was painted by Kneller during a turbulent year for Pepys, as it is inscribed and dated on the back 'Mr Pepes G. Kneller fecit 1689'.|
|Creator: Sir Godfrey Kneller|
|Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London|