Two watermen in Church Street, Greenwich
In 1901, Church Street ran all the way from St. Alfege’s Church
to the Thames shore at Garden Stairs. Today there is a large open space
here, called Cutty Sark Gardens. In 1901 this area was crowded with houses.
Some of the houses, like those in this picture, were very old. The two
men are facing the Ship Tavern, a very large pub which stood where the
Cutty Sark is now.