A horse-drawn tram in the Trafalgar Road .
Part of the Greenwich Local History Library collection.
This is a London Tramway's Company tram, which ran between Greenwich
and Westminster in 1885. By 1901, Greenwich Council asked for tenders
for an electric tramway on routes through the borough. By the time electric
trams came into use five years later, the stables where the horses were
kept had been replaced by a power station making electricity for the tram
lines. The power station is still there, in Old Woolwich Road.